Planning Questions

How long does it take to get a planning permit approved by Council?

This question is nearly impossible to answer. It will be dependent on Council resources, as well as the scale of your project. Councils have a statutory requirement to determine a planning permit application with 60 days. This however, is regularly not the case and will be subject to the type of application and the complexities involved. Some factors that can contribute to delays include, additional information, advertising, objections and referral authorities.

At Development Solutions Victoria, we endeavour to ensure all required information is included in our submission to Council at the time of our application to avoid delays. We will maintain constant communication with Council to keep the client and any other parties informed on the status of the application.

How much will you charge?

We offer a wide range of advice and services through to project management and building services. Please contact our office today to obtain a free preliminary review of your project and we will provide you with a fee proposal of our services.

What happens if someone objects?

Any person who believes they will be detrimentally affected by a planning permit application has the right to object. An objection will be lodged directly to Council at any time before a decision is made. An objection must be on the basis on a legitimate planning issue to be considered.

If a valid objection is made against your planning application, Council will notify Development Solutions Victoria.

Dependent on the content and reasons for the objection, changes can be made to the planning permit application to address the objector concerns. The method used to address the objection will be discussed and agreed with the client prior to Development Solutions Victoria responding to Council.

What do I need to submit an application?

The documents and information required for each planning permit application may vary due to the nature of the proposal and how this affects the planning controls on the land.

Generally, the following information will be required:

  • Planning permit application form
  • Certificate of title and plan of subdivision (no more than 30 days old)
  • Council application fee
  • Written submission report (prepared by Development Solutions Victoria)
  • Development Plans – Fully dimensioned including site, floor and elevation plans prepared to a professional standard.

Additional information many required and can include, Land Capability Assessments, Geotechnical Risk Assessment, Bushfire Management Report, Cultural Heritage Management Plan, Landscape Plan, Arborist report etc.

We will advise you on all information required at the time of your enquiry.

What other consultants do I need to engage?

The involvement of other consultants will depend on your site and the proposal. Our planners will assist in identifying any other consultants that will be required or be an asset to your application. This will be discussed as part of our initial assessment of the proposal.

We have a number of consultants we work with on a regular basis, we take the stress out of this process for you by obtaining quotes for any additional services required for your consideration.


Building Questions

What is the difference between a planning and building permit?

A planning permit is a legal document that allows a certain use and / or development on land, issued by the local council. A planning permit is not a building permit. Building permits are documents certifying that a proposed building complies with the relevant building regulations. A building permit is a written approval by a private or municipal building surveyor. It allows the building work to be undertaken according to the approved plans, specifications and other relevant documentation.

In some cases, you may require both a planning and building permit for your proposed works.

What documents do I need for a Building Permit?

The documents and information required for each building permit application may vary due to the nature of the proposal.

Generally, the following information will be required:

  • Application Form
  • Certificate of title and Plan of Subdivision (no more than 30 days old)
  • Builders warranty insurance or owner builder certificate of consent
  • Structural Plans
  • Structural computations and certification including Regulation 126 Certificate of Compliance
  • Soil Repot
  • Energy rating
  • Bushfire Attack Level (BAL Assessment)

How do I know if I need a Building Permit?

In almost most cases a building permit is required for any building works, including the construction of a new building, extension to an existing building and the change of use of a building. Development Solutions Victoria will help you determine if a building permit is required.

Development Solutions Victoria

48 Bailey Street
Bairnsdale VIC 3875
(03) 5152 4858